Skip to main content

Mother’s Day

 

May 9, 2021. Austin Shambhala Center 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Sunday, I Toil

Early to the nursery, that way I get a good parking place and a wagon to stack another 4 bags of soil. Sometimes I pick up four bags on Saturday and go back on Sunday for another four but yesterday was a retreat at the Buddhist center so my weekend soil ration was halved.  I’ve come to appreciate the houseplant greenhouse at Tillery. It’s a complete jungle. It puts me in a different mental state. I cannot be trusted with a houseplant, it would mean certain death for any specimen that I brought home but I like to visit them.  I took my new camera and am feeling a little underwhelmed with the photos. It is a nice size but has a wide angle fixed lens that I am having a difficult time adjusting to.  We laughed at how bad my photos were. I promised myself to go back with a different camera. And lo, I bought two of the tiniest houseplants I’d ever seen. Three bucks a pop. They were only labeled as “assorted houseplant”. I hope they don’t die and I hope my photos improve.  ...

I Feel Fall Coming

  ALERT! June, July and August have gone missing. The last time I posted here was in May and it was about my microgreens and sadly, shamefully, I did not follow up. In brief, the outcome was just okay. Turns out my dear husband does not care for radishes, not one iota.  But hey, that little experiment was back in May. There are days ahead to play with microgreens again, just not anytime soon. I am in full anticipation of fall. I've started broccoli seeds inside under the grow lights. I have Belstar and a fancy purple broc. They came up in 3 days. Yes, you read that right, 3 days. I'm waiting on the chives and celery to come up. I also started cumin - that's the wild card. I know nothing about growing cumin. This is probably the wrong time of year for it but if it works out, how thrilling will that be?!  As for garden plans, I have a few. I've pulled up everything that I could along the front fence. We went to the nursery and looked at Pink Muhly grass. Michael has alway...

Rain Over Austin

It’s been wet and muggy throughout the day. The only time it looked promising, dry that is, was when I left the house this morning for work. Once I got there, I didn’t give the weather a second thought. Instead, my mind was a mash up of papers and files and the grudge I carry against office machinery.  I wouldn’t have even looked out my office window had a friend not texted me, amused at how happy my snails must be today. I appreciate a friend who can so easily steer my otherwise task focused mind around to thoughts of my garden.     The snails have been a frequent topic of conversation for several weeks now to anyone who will listen which is approximately two people. I have friends who will humor me but two dear friends will commiserate at length on the subject.  We’ve discussed decollate snails vs. the common garden snail, a snail’s insatiable appetite, a snail’s ability to make their way up a tree and how eas...